A source close to the royal said: “Weather has concluded that the claims are not sufficient to warrant further investigation.”
The Metropolitan Police will take no further action against Prince Andrew in relation to Jeffrey Epstein after allegedly reviewing Virginia Giuffre’s allegations.
What are the charges?
The Queen’s second eldest son Andrew has been accused by Virginia Giuffre of sexually assaulting her when she was a teenager between 2001 and 2002.
She claims that Andrew had sex with her on three separate occasions – in London, New York and on Epstein’s private Caribbean island – without her consent. She claims he knew she was 17.
Giuffre claims to have been sex trafficked for the royal by late, convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, who was a friend of Andrew at the time.
She also claims that Epstein and his ex-girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell would groom and abuse girls and young women – this is how Andrew allegedly came to visit Giuffre.
Now 38, Giuffre is suing Andrew in a New York civil case for alleged sexual assault.
Andrew and Buckingham Palace vehemently denied all claims against them.
What does the Met have to do with this matter?
The civil case may be based in New York, but it has international implications.
Back in August when Giuffre announced a civil case against Andrew, the Met said it would reconsider its decision not to investigate whether Epstein had committed any crimes while in London – including sex trafficking. Was.
At the time, Met Police Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick said: “This has been reviewed twice before, we have worked closely with the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service).
“We are certainly ready to work with the authorities abroad; if they ask for anything from us within the law, we will give them all possible assistance.
“As a result of what’s happening, I’ve asked my team to take another look at the material.
“no one is above the law.”
The Met had already decided not to open an investigation into Giuffre’s allegations following Andrew’s car accident interview with BBC Newsnight in November 2019.
The Met said it was “not the appropriate authority” to investigate the issue. It was also reviewed whether there was evidence of a crime.
Why has the Met decided not to investigate again?
It’s unclear what exactly prompted this latest announcement from the Met and police have neither confirmed nor denied who he spoke to in his review.
The Met explained that it would not investigate allegations related to Epstein’s possible crimes in a statement Monday, which read: “As a matter of process, MPS officials have issued a document released in August 2021 as part of the US civil action.” reviewed.
“This review has ended and we are not taking any further action.”
What else has the mate said?
It has also announced that it has completed its review of allegations against Maxwell, Epstein’s alleged accomplice and a Briton who currently awaits trial behind bars in the US, which was first reported on Channel 4 in June. Picked up by News.
The Met said it “reviewed information provided to us by a media organization in June” and it would not take any further action.
The force said it would “continue to liaise with other law enforcement agencies that lead the investigation into cases related to Jeffrey Epstein”.
why is it important?
some critics like Victoria Richards of The Independent – Believes this development will “further undermine women’s confidence in the police” in the UK.
The Met has faced widespread criticism for its response to women’s safety in the wake of the murder of Sarah Everard at the hands of a then-serving police officer in March.
Andrew stepped down as a working royal in November 2019 following his disastrous Newsnight interview.
He faced further investigation for the way his team claimed they had not been given their legal papers and therefore could not be sued by Giuffre in August.
It now has until October 29 to formally respond to the lawsuit and its unspecified damages.
The FBI has repeatedly alleged that Andrew did not cooperate with its ongoing investigation into Epstein’s international sex trafficking ring, although his team says he has repeatedly offered to help.
In August, Andrew was declared a “person of interest” by the US in the Epstein investigation, meaning he may have important information about the case but is not accused of any crime.
What have Prince Andrew’s aides said about the Met?
A source close to Andrew told the PA media agency that the Met’s decision was “no surprise”.
He continued: “Despite media pressure and claims of new evidence, the Met has concluded that the claims are not sufficient to warrant further investigation.
“The Duke has always strictly maintained his innocence and continues to do so.”
What have Giuffre’s team said?
Giuffre’s US attorney Sigrid McCauley told The Sunday Times: “Given the clear and compelling evidence Prince AndrewThe Metropolitan Police should resume its investigation and stick to its statement that no one is above the law. “
Help and Support: