Although unlikely, Rod Stewart and his son Sean face a maximum sentence of one year in prison.
A plea deal between British rock icon Rod Stewart and Florida prosecutors fell through on Friday, meaning he and his adult son are set to stand trial again on charges that led to the new trial nearly two years ago. A security guard was beaten up during the eve of the year.
Neither Rod Stewart nor his son Sean were present when Judge August Bonavita announced that a hearing expected to finalize a deal had been canceled. The pair now have to stand trial on January 25 on an abused battery charge.
Motley Fool Crew singer Vince Neal taken to hospital after falling off stage during concert: Report
This is at least the second time a settlement has been reached in this matter, which has also been delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic. Stewart faces a maximum sentence of one year in prison, although such a long term would likely be unlikely.
Prosecutors declined comment. Defense attorney Guy Fronstein did not immediately respond to calls and emails.
Police have said that on December 31, 2019, Stewart had a fight with security guard Jesse Dixon at The Breakers Hotel.
He said the Stewarts were part of a group that tried to enter a private event in the children’s area at the posh hotel, but was denied permission. Police said the group, which included children, created a scene and did not leave.
According to the police report, Dixon intervened and the face of Sean Stewart, 41, was revealed. Dixon told officers that he put the back of his right hand on little Stewart’s chest and told him to back down. Security video shows Sean Stewart punching 76-year-old Dixon and Rod Stewart in the ribs.
London native Rod Stewart is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. His biggest hits include “Maggie May,” “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy?” Are included. and “Tonight’s Night.” He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 2016.