30,000 migrants flood Del Rio since mid-September
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Alejandro Meyercas said Friday that all migrants who were camping under the Del Rio International Bridge in southern Texas have been turned away.
“As of this morning, there are no migrants anymore in the camp under the Del Rio International Bridge,” the secretary told reporters.
Mayercas said 30,000 people had suffered in Del Rio since September 9 and 15,000 were concentrated there at one time.
Florida Rep. Wilson tells Biden to ‘pay’ migrants not to come to US
About 12,400 individuals are expected to have their cases heard by an immigration judge to decide whether they will be allowed to stay in the US
Another 8,000 have opted to return to Mexico, while an estimated 5,000 migrants are being processed by DHS, which will determine whether they will be deported or placed in an immigration processing centre, Meyerkas said.
“Migrants continue to be expelled under CDC’s Title 42 authorization,” Meyerkas said. “Title 42 is a public health authority, not an immigration policy.”
Democrats have pushed back on the use of Title 42 – first implemented under the Trump administration – because it allows federal officials to do away with normal immigration practices to protect against the spread of COVID-19.
Meyerkas also pointed out that Title 42 is a policy that is “in force and applicable to all irregular migration during this pandemic.”
Biden administration bans use of horses in Del Rio amid dame outrage
“This is not specific to Haitian citizens or the current situation,” he added in an apparent attempt to counter the accusations of racism.
Roughly 2,000 people – mostly Haitians in the recent border increase – have so far been deported.
Only those who can prove they have an “acute vulnerability” or threat of torture will be allowed to remain in the US.
US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) – which falls under the DHS – came under fire this week after depicting aggressive actions by CBP officers on horseback to prevent Haitian migrants from entering the US illegally was stopped.
CBP officers have now been barred by the administration from using horses in the Del Rio sector, and an investigation has been launched.
“Agents involved in these incidents have been assigned administrative duties and are not interacting with migrants while the investigation continues,” Meyerkas said.