Over one million people in England will be invited to book their coronavirus booster jab in the coming week.
NHS England said it would send text invitations from Monday, while letters would be sent to those who would be eligible later in the week. The health service said some 1.5 million people would be contacted.
Anyone age 50 and older, people living and working in care homes, and frontline health and social care workers will be eligible. As was anyone aged 16 to 65 who was in priority groups one to nine during the initial vaccine rollout and was clinically extremely vulnerable.
NHS England said millions more invitations would be issued in the coming weeks.
The Joint Committee on Immunization and Immunization (JCVI) said that people should receive a booster dose at least six months after their second dose.
JCVI prefers the Pfizer jab as the third dose, even though the jab people have gotten before, half the dose of the Modern jab can be safely used as an alternative, JCVI said. said.
The health secretary, Sajid Javid, said the boosters would “strengthen the wall of defence” created by the vaccines and urged people to book “as soon as possible”.
According to the latest government figures, around 90 per cent of people over the age of 16 in the UK have received at least one dose of the vaccine.
Nikki Kanani, GP and deputy lead of the COVID immunization programme, said that so far 24 million cases and 112,000 lives have been saved through vaccination.
Data from the Office for National Statistics shows that only 59 deaths occurred in the first six months of the year, those who were fully vaccinated and those who were not extremely clinically vulnerable. A total of 51,281 Kovid deaths occurred during this period.
Credit: www.independent.co.uk /