Meng strikes deal with U.S. justice officials, including withdrawal of Canadian extradition request

319
SHARES
2.5k
VIEWS


You Might Also Like

– Advertisement –


OTTAWA – US Justice Department official and Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou have reached an agreement to resolve criminal charges against her, and if agreed by the court it would allow a woman who is one year older It has been at the center of geopolitical matters. To enter into a deferred prosecution agreement and be released under certain conditions.

– Advertisement –

Meng, who appeared virtually in a New York courtroom as part of the proceedings, has pledged “not guilty” and the US DOJ says whether the DPA should be approved by the court, it is “immediately” for the Canadian government to will be informed that he is taking it back. Extradition request.

“Resolution of charges” is currently underway, marking the beginning of the end of a nearly three-year legal and diplomatic saga.

advertisement

A second court appearance at the B.C. Supreme Court is expected at 2 p.m. PST, where extradition proceedings against Meng are expected to halt, which could result in the Chinese telecom giant’s CFO leaving Canada.

Meng has been placed under house arrest in Vancouver since he was first detained at Vancouver International Airport in December 2018 on a US warrant related to the company’s business deals in Iran.

– Advertisement –

Meng, who is the daughter of Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei, has claimed her innocence throughout the process, and is fighting extradition through Canadian courts.

Huawei Canada and the Office of Justice Minister and Attorney General David Lametti declined to comment at this time.

Granthshala News spoke to a source who says Meng’s prosecutor talks with the US Justice Department have been ongoing for months, and may include any settlements related to the ongoing detentions of Canada’s Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor in China. Not there.

Kovrig and Spavor were taken into custody just days after Meng’s arrest and are now in Chinese custody for 1,019 days on espionage charges, largely seen as a retaliatory response to Meng’s Canadian arrest Is.

Both men are put on trial, and Spavor has been sentenced to 11 years, while Kovrig has yet to be sentenced. It is not clear whether today’s developments will have any impact on his affairs.

“I want to be able to say ‘Next Tuesday at one o’clock, they’ll be home’, but the Chinese regime doesn’t work that way. It’s possible that more concessions could be taken from Canada to get them back home.” Margaret McCuag-Johnston, senior fellow for science, society and policy at the University of Ottawa, said in an interview on Granthshala News Channel. “But of course behind the scenes, our ambassador is in Beijing with his people on the ground in his immediate release. will work as furious to create pressure. “

Canadian officials acting on US requests sparked diplomatic tensions between Canada and China, and relations have strained significantly over the years, resulting in a series of trade actions, and a rally of international allies denouncing China’s international law. condemned the government.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau previously suggested that Canada should consider exchanging the two Canadians for Meng, citing the need to work its way through the legal system.

This came after a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman suggested in 2020 that Canada could affect the fate of Kovrig and Spavor by halting its attempt to extradite Meng, a departure from China’s persistent denial that the case was in any way. were associated with.

.


– Advertisement –

Related News

Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending News