Sources say Alberta Health Minister Tyler Shandrow is expected to be out of the job.
Sources have told The Canadian Press that Premier Jason Kenney is expected to replace Shandrow with Labor Minister Jason Kopping as the new health minister at a ceremony on Tuesday.
The change comes as Kenny’s government announced it has reached out to the federal government for emergency help dealing with COVID-19 hospitals that have been decimating the province’s health system and rationing life-saving resources to doctors Threatens to force.
Municipal Affairs Minister Rick MacIver is specifically calling for air transportation to move patients to care facilities outside Alberta and more intensive care nurses and respiratory therapists.
McIver made the request in a letter Tuesday to Bill Blair, the federal minister of public safety and emergency preparedness.
“Federal aid in these two areas has the potential to provide significant relief to the health care system,” MacIver wrote to Blair.
Alberta sought help from other provinces last week when it declared a state of public health emergency.
At the time, Kenny reintroduced newly collected restrictions and launched a form of a COVID-19 vaccine passport, a move he had long promised not to take.
Alberta has more than 20,000 active cases. On Monday, there were 954 people with COVID-19 in the hospital and 216 of them were in intensive care with the disease, exceeding the normal ICU capacity.
Surgeries have been largely canceled across the province and Kenny said last week it anticipated the health system was on track to be overwhelmed by the end of the month without direct action.
Kenny is facing not only public but internal backlash over his handling of the pandemic from his own United Conservative rank and file and caucus members.
Alberta’s chief medical officer of health has said the current spike was ignited when Kenny lifted nearly all COVID-19 health restrictions on July 1, faster than any other province, saying it was safe 70 percent of eligible Albertans had at least one dose. covid 19 vaccine.
At that time, Kenny announced that COVID-19 had been effectively defeated and that future increases in cases would also be accommodated in the health system. He said he was so sure that COVID-19 was over that he did not envision the need for a fallback plan, and accused journalists of spreading fear by discussing the potential for a dangerous rise of COVID-19 in a fourth wave. Put it.
His government then failed to act during July and August as the number of cases increased.
Last week, Kenny said he did not take action because he did not believe Albertans would comply with the new health restrictions.
sign up for coronavirus update newsletter To read essential coronavirus news, features and explainers of the day, written by the Granthshala’s journalists and editors.