The week began with an energy crunch, as households woke up to the problem of skyrocketing gas prices – and the impact on their bills.
– Advertisement –
It ended with an unnecessary rush on petrol, as people were told there was no need to panic buying fuel… and some people bought it immediately.
We are told that while the petrol problem is related to the lack of HGV drivers to deliver the fuel, unfortunately the gas problem is much more complicated.
The immediate implications for households are that some are finding that their energy suppliers have become unusable and are being relocated elsewhere, others are finding they cannot switch, and many potentially larger imminent Looking down the barrel of price cap growth. next spring.
In this podcast episode, This Is Money’s energy and consumer correspondent Grace Gosden explains what’s happening and Georgie Frost and Simon Lambert discuss the implications with her.
– Advertisement –
In the second part of the podcast, Tanya Jefferies talks about the National Audit Office report on the state pensions of low-wage women, which highlights the work of her and our columnist Steve Webb.
Tanya briefs us on their investigation and what might happen next.
And finally, there’s a new bank in town: Chase. Well it’s actually pretty old, as it’s starting current accounts in the UK under the JPMorgan Chase brand.
It has 5% interest, with a catch, 1% cashback and some nifty features. Is it worth getting?
Smaller energy suppliers are falling as gas prices rise and they struggle with price caps
How to Listen to This Is Money Podcast
We publish our podcast every Friday for the player on This Is Money, above, and on Apple Podcasts (iTunes) and on podcast platforms Audioboom and Ecast, both of which allow you to listen on desktop, mobile, or download apps. We now publish on Spotify as well.
To download the Apple Podcasts app, go to the App Store if you haven’t already. Or visit either the Apple App Store or the Google Play store on Android to download the Acast, AudioBoom or Spotify apps.
Hit play, or listen to hear this week’s full episode on the player above (and please subscribe and review if you like the podcast) Apple Podcastshandjob a casthandjob audioboom And Spotify or visit us This is the Money podcast page.
this is the money podcast
- How bad will the energy crisis be?
- Can inflation cause stagflation?
- Were the Social Care Tax Hike and Triple Lock Right?
- Are you a mover, a flipper or a forever homeowner?
- Is there any way to boost your state pension?
- As deliveries boom, could you be a victim of a parcel text scam?
- How low can mortgage rates go and is it worth jumping ship to fix?
- Will your energy bill price cap change?
- Does Green Home Improvement Get Accumulated?
- New plan to tackle fake ratings online: Can you trust reviews?
- What Connects Rocketing Car Rental Prices and Inflation?
- Will we pay on 8% triple lock pension hike?
- Underpaid state pension scam and the future of retirement
- Stamp duty race to avoid double false economy
- Would you rather invest in sneakers… or the new space race?
- Is loyalty starting to pay off for savers and customers?
- What goes up must also come down? 18 year asset cycle
- Are you a premium bond winner or a loser?
- Is a little inflation really that bad?
- Holidays abroad are back… but would you book one?
- Build a cash pot then buy and sell your way to profit
- Are you craving to spend or planning to save after the lockdown?
- Is it a wise move to pledge 95% to support first time buyers?
- Was Coinbase Listing Coming of the Age of Bitcoin and Crypto?
- Is working from home here to stay and how do you change careers?
- What is behind the rising tide of financial scams?
- hot or not? How to Identify a Buyer’s or Seller’s Market
- How to Save or Invest in Isa – and why it’s worth doing
- Is there hope for a return to the UK… and now what for the Scottish hostage?
- ‘Escape Velocity’ budget and £3bn state pension win
- Should stamp duty leave become permanent leave?
- What happens next to the property market and home prices?
- Britain has dodged a double recession, so what next?
- Will You Admit Your Investment Mistakes?
- Should the GameStop frenzy be stopped to protect investors?
- Should people cash in on bitcoin profits or wait for the moon?
- Is this the answer to the freedom to pension without pain?
- Is it right for investors to buy British for better times after lockdown?
- The Surprising Year That Was 2020…and the Christmas Taste Test
- Buy now, pay later Bad news or ordinary expense?
- Will a ‘wealth tax’ work in the UK?
- Is there still time for investors to go on a bargain hunt?
- Is Britain ready for electric cars? Driving, charging and buying…
- Will the Vaccine Rally and Value Investing Revival Continue?
- How bad will lockdown 2 be for the UK economy?
- Is this the end of ‘free’ banking or can it survive?
- Has the V-shaped recovery turned into a double-dip?
- Should British investors worry about the US election?
- Is Boris’s idea of 95% mortgage a bad move?
- Can we keep our lockdown savings habit?
- Will Winter Economy Plan Save Jobs?
- How to Make Offers in a Seller’s Market and Avoid Overpaying
- Could you be a victim of lockdown fraud? how to fight back
- What’s behind the UK wealth and US stock lockdown mini-booms?
- Do you know how your pension is invested?
- Online supermarket battle intensifies with M&S and Okado tie-up
- Is the coronavirus recession better or worse than it appears?
- Can you make a profit and get your money for doing something good?
- Are negative interest rates off the table and what’s next for gold?
- Is the pain in Spain over the summer holidays this year?
- How to start investing and grow your wealth
- Is the government…