Harry Dunn’s parents and their son’s alleged killer, Anne Sacoolas, are said to have reached a “solution” in a civil claim for damages.
Dunn family spokesman, Rad Seeger, said the two sides had “successfully” reached a settlement and that Harry’s parents will now focus on a pending criminal case.
Nineteen-year-old Harry died in a road accident outside RAF Crouton in Northamptonshire in August 2019.
Ms Sacoolas was able to leave the UK after the accident after the US government granted her diplomatic immunity.
He was charged with causing death by dangerous driving in connection with the December 2019 incident. The US government rejected the UK’s extradition request the following month.
Earlier this year, Harry’s family was given the go-ahead in the US to file a civil claim for damages against Ms. Sacoolas and her husband.
It is one of several legal processes that the teenager’s parents, Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn, have entered into after their son’s death.
Details of the agreement – announced on Tuesday – have not been disclosed.
Mr Seeger, a spokesman for the Dunn family, said: “It has come as some relief to them that there has now been a successful resolution of the civil claim between the parties and they can put this part of the campaign behind them.
“It’s never easy to escalate the legal battle for justice abroad, let alone in the United States, but the family’s courage and determination to see it through is unbelievable.”
He thanked Dominic Raab, who was Foreign Secretary until the recent reshuffle, and thanked government officials for their support.
“We have been made aware that the US government has made no secret of their displeasure at the British government’s support of Harry’s family in bringing the claim,” Mr Seeger said.
The damages claim revealed a plethora of previously unheard material, such as the State Department roles held by the couple at the time of the accident.
The Alexandria District Court in the US state of Virginia heard that the pair’s work in intelligence was a “factor” in their departure from the UK, as they had left for “security reasons”.
Mr Seeger said Harry’s family felt they could “now turn their attention to the criminal case and the long-awaited investigation” that will follow their son’s death.
“It’s a turning point in the campaign, a real milestone. But it can be said that there is much more to be done to bring justice to Harry.”
Lawyers acting on behalf of Ms. Sacoolas have been contacted for comment.
Additional reporting by the Press Association
Credit: www.independent.co.uk / Harry Dunn