A devastated mother narrates how her family was gutted by a massive fire caused by a tumble dryer.
Keri Miller, 30, put a load of laundry in the laundry room while she engaged in other chores and her toddler son was playing in his bedroom.
In no time he heard a passing motorist honking his horn and shouting for him to get out.
She went to check and saw smoke and flames coming out of a rear outhouse where the dryer was.
Terrified, Kerry grabbed her 18-month-old son and French bulldog Milo and escaped from the semi-finals in Leeds, West Yorkshire, just in time.
Moments later the fire engulfed the property and destroyed every room and left a huge hole in the ceiling.
The mother of four, her partner and her children are now homeless until the council can find them alternative housing.
She said: “I put the tumble dryer on that morning while I was going about things downstairs and my little boy was in his bedroom.
“At around 10.30 a driver saw flames emanating from behind the house and blew his horn and told me about the danger.
“I had not seen, heard or smelled anything until that time.
“I went to the kitchen and saw the fire. I closed the door and ran upstairs to pick up my son and also dragged our dog Milo out of the house.
Luckily Kerry’s three eldest children, two boys aged 11 and six, and their eight-year-old daughter, were in school.
She is relieved that no one is hurt, but is devastated to lose all her possessions.
She continued: “We’ve only got the clothes we’re standing in now.
“The fire brigade has said that the tumble dryer motor was burnt and caused the fire.
“I only had it for about a year after I bought it second hand.
“I’m hurt by all this, but also happy that no one was injured and it didn’t happen at night while we were sleeping.
‘lost my whole life’
“It was a normal load of clean laundry that needed drying. This should be a warning to others to take special care with tumble dryers.”
Employees are securing the property from the scaffold but Kerry is told it will take ten months for her to return.
Friends have started a GoFundMe appeal to raise money to replace what was destroyed in the fire.
Her friend Jordyn West said: “He’s lost his whole life. They literally have those clothes on their backs.
“No matter how big or small the donation, it would be greatly appreciated to help a family that is in need now.”
A West Yorkshire Fire Service spokesman said: “The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental. The most likely cause of the fire was an electrical fault in the tumble dryer.”
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for the News Desk?
Email us at [email protected] or call us on 02077824104. You can whatsapp us on 07423 720 250. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload your