A man arrested in connection with the murder of Sabina Nessa has been released under investigation.
The 38-year-old was arrested yesterday at an address in Lewisham.
In the evening Sabina was attacked, detectives are constantly appealing for information about a man captured on CCTV in Peglar Square, E3.
Two photographs, as well as CCTV footage, have been released and police are urging anyone who identifies the person or the silver vehicle they believe has access to contact them immediately.
Detective Chief Inspector Neil John of the Met’s Specialist Crime Command said: “We would like to thank those who have shared our image appeal over the past 24 hours – it has received a huge amount of coverage and we are extremely grateful for the public’s help.” Huh. .
“We are now a week away from the murder of Sabina and we have made good progress with our investigation, we should continue this appeal for information and encourage anyone to come forward.”
Detectives understand that Sabina left her home address on Estelle Road just before 8:30 last Friday night.
It is believed she was on her way from Cater Park to the Depot Bar on Pegler Square in Kidbrook Village, where she had planned to visit a friend.
Sabina never arrived at the pub and is believed to have been murdered while walking through the park.
His body was found 24 hours later on Saturday, 18 September, by a dog walker covered in leaves.
The post-mortem report done on Monday was inconclusive.
Police have arrested a 38-year-old man from Lewisham on suspicion of murder, but he has been released under investigation.
Officials have released moving CCTV footage of a second person, they want to talk about their investigation.
Footage shows the man, dressed in a dark top and boots in gray tracksuit bottoms, passing by a building in Kidbrook’s Pegler Square on the night Sabina went missing.
He can be seen turning over his shoulder before appearing to put his hood on his head.
Authorities have also released pictures of a silver car they are looking for and believe the man had access as well.
Detectives are appealing to anyone who knows the person to contact them immediately so they can speak to him.
Police have also reportedly found footage of the moment Sabina was attacked as she left her house for the date.
A police source told daily Telegraph that Sabina had been hit on the head with an “object” and carried to the cater park on the shoulder of the attacker.
A post-mortem examination conducted on Monday, 20 September was inconclusive.
Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Louisa Rolfe urged anyone who knew the person in the CCTV footage to contact police. The force was released on Friday after being briefed about the investigation into the murder of primary school teacher Sabina Nessa.
Speaking this afternoon she said: “Anyone who might know who that is, or if you’ve seen that footage, and you have any information, no matter how small, please get in touch.
“This is an incredibly shocking and tragic incident. We are working incredibly hard to secure justice for Sabina’s family who are at the forefront of our minds at this time.”
Detective Chief Inspector Neil John said his teams were conducting a “comprehensive investigation” of the CCTV.
He encouraged locals to look at the images “carefully” given that any information about their identity or whereabouts might be “critical” to the investigation.
Detectives say the “fantastic” Sabina left her home address on Estelle Road just before 8.30 p.m. on Friday, September 17.
He believes he was murdered while passing through the park on his way to go on a date at the Depot Bar.
Friends of the tragic elementary school teacher have said she was “excited” about going on a first date with an old friend before her death.
One reported: “She was a lovely person, she loved children. She just wanted to live her life. She had many plans.
“She wanted to go to Dubai and teach the kids there. She was very excited, but not nervous. She was happy to see him.”
Another friend near her flat said: “She was very much looking forward to it, it is very sad. This is very bad.
“She was the best woman in the world. It broke all of us.”
Her heartbroken sister paid tribute to the elementary school teacher, writing online: “My beautiful, talented and caring sister.
“My motivation is always to put myself first and never let anyone put me down.
“Never in my life did I or my sisters or my mom or dad think that this could happen to us. May Allah give him paradise. Amin.”
Sabina’s journey should have taken just five minutes, but she never reached her destination.
de jo garrity
Jubail paid tribute to his cousin and described him as “the sweetest person ever”, saying that the devastated family did not understand “how someone could do such a thing”.
Her cousin Jubail Ahmed told ITV News, “She was supposed to visit her family over the weekend and even… she unfortunately couldn’t do it for the last time.”
He continued: “We went and saw his parents, they are in awe. This is the worst way for someone to let go.
“The shock hasn’t subsided. She was a beautiful, kind, caring soul.
“I extend my deepest condolences to her sisters – Mom and Dad are absolutely devastated.
“We don’t understand anything, why it was taken from us, we don’t know yet.”
‘Please talk to us’
But officials expressed concern yesterday that another attack by her killer, who they believe to be a stranger, “might happen”.
Detective Chief Superintendent Trevor Lowry has said: “It is always a concern that this could happen, but it is not something we have any intelligence about at this time.”
Asked if he thinks a stranger was behind the attack, he said: “It is definitely the subject of an investigation that we are looking into.”
Detective Inspector Joe Garrity, who is leading the murder investigation, believes there are “still others who may have information” who can help.
He added: “If you think you saw Sabina or any suspicious behavior in or around the park on Friday evening please talk to us.
“Sabina’s journey should have taken just five minutes, but she never reached her destination.
“We know the community is absolutely shocked by this killing – just as we are – and we are using every resource we have available to find the person responsible.”
Sabina’s death has sparked outrage after she joined a growing list of women killed in public places in London in recent months.
Activists are now demanding action to tackle the violence against women in the wake of the latest tragedy.
Our Streets Now said: “That’s why we don’t go where we want.
“That’s why we strain toward the sound of a car pulling over, or someone crossing the street.
“This is why one in five girls has avoided her place of education. Please, stop telling us we are overreacting.
“Sabina Ness, Sarah Everard, Biba Henry, Nicole Smallman. And these are just the names we remember.
“Male violence is killing us. It is limiting our right to be free and equal citizens. We need change now.”
Anyone with information should call the event room on 0208 721 4266 or Crimestoppers completely anonymously on 0800 555 111.