Residents of southeastern Connecticut were advised to take preventive measures against infection
Connecticut health officials are warning residents of the Southeastern region on the potentially deadly mosquito-borne Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) virus after detecting virus-positive mosquitoes.
Mosquitoes trapped in Pachoague State Forest in Wallentown tested positive for the EEE virus, marking Connecticut’s first EEE-positive mosquitoes of the year, according to a release Monday, according to the state health department.
DPH Commissioner Manisha Juthani, MD, said in a statement, “We encourage residents of southeastern Connecticut to take simple measures such as mosquito repellent and bare skin coverings, especially during dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active. are.” “While the detection of EEE virus is of concern, it is important to remember that we do not expect to see a lot of mosquito activity in the month of October.”
EEE disease is rare but serious, with health officials writing that mosquitoes become infected by eating infected wild birds. The virus is most often found in mosquitoes that bite birds, but in some cases it can also spread to species of mosquitoes that bite people and horses, the release said.
Officials said EEE cannot be transmitted from person to person or from horses to humans. Frost.
Get the Granthshala News App
Health officials said EEE infection can cause severe illness affecting the brain and symptoms include high fever, headache, stiff neck and loss of consciousness, with 25-50% of cases leading to death, although recovered. Individuals will face frequent health problems, health officials said.
To reduce the risk of infection, residents were advised to go indoors from dusk to dawn, during daily peak mosquito activity, to repair door and window curtains, wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts. Wear protective clothing and use mosquito repellent when going outside. Click Here for more information.