A caregiver who nearly lost her hand to a false widow spider bite is now too scared to sleep in her bed.
Morgan Curran, 21, initially downplayed the venomous bite, thinking it was harmless.
But a few days later, his right hand was swollen “like a boxing glove” and a black spot the size of a £2 coin appeared under the knuckle of his middle finger.
Morgan, from Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire, was urged by her GP to go to A&E, where medics hooked her up to an IV drip and closely monitored the festering wound.
She was loaded with antibiotics and had to stay in the hospital for five days – undergoing two operations to take out the infected tissue.
Now Morgan is urging anyone bitten by the eight-legged crater to seek immediate medical attention – as doctors told her that she could die if not treated in time.
“I’m fine with the bloody stuff, but when they took the dressing off and I looked I felt sick to my stomach,” she said.
“It was hard to imagine that was inside and out of me.
“The biggest was my hand like a boxing glove. It was completely bloated and I couldn’t straighten my fingers because of the swelling.”
Morgan, who woke up with an itchy hand one morning in April 2019, believes she was bitten while she was sleeping and saw a spider on her window the same day.
She said: “I believe he was the one who did me – it had the shape of a skull on its back.”
The caregiver initially thought the pinhead-sized lump on her arm was a regular bug bite and popped some antihistamines.
But over the course of two days, the lump began to swell and the center turned black.
“I didn’t think about it for a few days and then it started to feel pretty serious, it turned black and my hand was very swollen so I went to a pharmacist,” Morgan said.
“They told me I should go to A&E but I was going to a concert that night and I thought ‘No, it’ll be fine’.
“That night was very painful and I didn’t enjoy the concert as much as I should have.
“My GP said I needed to go straight to the hospital and they straight up put me on an IV drip of antibiotics and said I would need surgery.
“The doctor said it was full of infection and if I left it more I could have lost my hand, could have sepsis or worst case – I could have lost my life.”
After five days in the hospital, Morgan was discharged and bandages were changed daily until the wound healed.
But she was forced to take five weeks off from work and has “constant numbness” in her hand, even when it is cold.
“I definitely wish I got it checked out as soon as it couldn’t be so serious,” Morgan said.
“I now check the bed before I go to bed. Every time I walk into the room I check the corners for anything.
“Some nights I can’t sleep there so I go to the living room and sleep on the couch.
“It’s usually because I’ve seen a spider, tried to get it but it’s fallen and I can’t find it.
“My advice to anyone bitten is to get it checked out because the pain is unreal and unbearable.
“It’s just not worth the surgery, the pain, and the constant numbness.”