A Conservative candidate dropped by the party over Islamophobic tweets claiming he was bogus, she is still running in the Toronto ride as a “confirmed” Tory candidate.
The Tories left Lisa Robinson last week after Beaches-east York Liberal incumbent, Nate Erskine-Smith, posted screenshots of a Twitter post allegedly written by Robinson.
But Robinson denied that the Twitter account that sent the post was his in 2017 and said he had previously reported it to police.
Robinson said Friday that she was refusing to give up on the campaign, despite losing the support of Conservative leader Erin O’Toole.
She said in an email to the Canadian press: “I am still running as a candidate in this election.”
“I am still confirming the Conservative candidate for Beaches-East York. There are a lot of confused voters and they need to know that my values of being conservative have not changed,” she said.
Her name remains on the ballot paper because she was removed as an official Tory candidate after the registration deadline.
Robinson said that if she was elected into equestrianism, conservatives would either withdraw her, she would stand as an independent or she would join another party.
She is sending phone messages to voters saying “Vote for the conservative, vote for me, Lisa Robinson, a candidate who will stand for you.”
In the messages, she also says: “Despite what you hear in the news, I am your Conservative candidate and these allegations against me are false.”
She adds: “I believe in the environment. I believe in health care. I believe in fiscal responsibility. I believe in human rights, and I believe in our charter of rights. And I believe in fighting for the beaches—East York needs—for all generations. Justin Trudeau has failed Canadians during this COVID-19 crisis. is time to change.”
Her campaign website states that she is a freelancer but includes a larger picture of her and O’Toole. It is also decorated with Tori Blue.
The Conservative did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Friday.
Robinson is adamant that he never wrote tweets that led to him being deleted.
One post said Muslim residents “should go home if our Canadian heritage hurts you so much.”
She has said that the Twitter account titled “Ward 1 Municipal Councillor, Candidate” does not belong to her and reported it to the police in 2018.
Robinson said last week that “racism and Islamophobia have no place in the Conservative Party of Canada or in my campaign.”