State news agency NNA reported three deaths during the conflict in the Lebanese capital. An emergency room doctor at Beirut’s Al-Sahel Hospital, who did not want to be named at first, told Granthshala that there have been one death and nine injuries at the hospital since the violence.
According to the military, hundreds of supporters of Iran-backed Hezbollah and its main Shiite ally Amal were marching towards the city’s Palace of Justice when shots were fired at protesters from an undisclosed location, forcing protesters and journalists to take cover. Had to be narrator and local broadcasters.
There are several local reports of snipers shooting at protesters from the roofs of buildings in the area. Local TV and social media videos showed masked protesters firing AK-47s from behind road barriers and garbage dumps, apparently shooting gunmen, and black from a nearby building. Smoke is rising.
In a statement on Thursday, Lebanon’s military, which deployed extensively for scenes of gunfire, said it would shoot any armed person in areas where conflict is taking place and urged people to clear the streets. called upon.
A high-ranking Hezbollah official told Granthshala: “It is clear that the people who fired at the protesters were organized armed groups that had been planning this attack since yesterday.” “We will not retaliate. They want to drag us into civil strife and we do not want to sow civil strife.”
In a joint statement issued by Hezbollah and Amal, the groups called “for peace” among their supporters on the streets.
Hezbollah has been a staunch opponent of popular judge Tariq Bitter, who is leading the investigation into the Beirut blasts and has called for high-level officials to be prosecuted. This week, the judge issued an arrest warrant against a top Amal official and former finance minister, MLA Ali Hassan Khaleel.
Betar has also issued an arrest warrant against former Prime Minister Saad Hariri’s aide and former Interior Minister MP Nauhad Machnouk.
Since his appointment in February, Bitar, who also heads Beirut’s criminal court, has called on top political and security officials to be interrogated in the Beirut blasts investigation. He is the second judicial investigator to lead the investigation. The first judge to handle the investigation was sacked after two former ministers accused in the investigation successfully filed a motion for their removal.
Several legal petitions by the authorities to prosecute the dismissal of Betar have been unsuccessful.
During a televised speech on Monday, Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah rebuked the judge, accusing him of “politicising”.
This is breaking news, more details to follow.
Credit : www.cnn.com